Nobody has to tell us warm-bodied Floridians that we crave warmth – while also seeking refuge from it with cool air.
In no time at all, the temperatures will fall and we’ll be seeking refuge from the cold air with heat.
. Before you turn on your heat pump for the first time this season, you’ll want to be sure it’s running properly. Schedule your annual maintenance check with Charlie’s Tropic Heating & Air Conditioning and bask in the warmth you love – as well as the knowledge that your heat pump should run smoothly and reliably during the cooler days ahead.
Charlie’s cleans up a heat pump’s act
It doesn’t matter if you used your heat pump every day, once a week or only a few times a month last season. You cannot take for granted that it’s in good shape for the season ahead. Based on usage alone because the reality is, it’s probably been sitting and gathering dust in the interim.
Dust and dirt pose the single biggest threats to your heat pump. They will choke its efficiency and ultimately costing you more money to operate every month. Much of this dust and dirt collect on the filter, which is why Charlie’s recommends that it be checked monthly and replaced when it becomes so filthy that you can no longer see through it. Charlie’s filter delivery service underscores our commitment to keeping our customers’ heat pumps running properly.
In addition to clogging the filter, dust, dirt and grime accumulate on your heat pump’s mechanical components. Inspecting the filter and cleaning your heat pump are two of the first tasks that Charlie’s expert technicians address. The other tasks – all recommended by the U.S. Department of Energy – include:
- Inspecting the ducts, the blower and the indoor coil for dirt and other obstructions
- Diagnosing and sealing duct leakage
- Verifying adequate airflow
- Verifying the refrigerant charge
- Checking for refrigerant leaks
- Inspecting electric terminals, and, if necessary, cleaning and tightening connections and applying non-conductive coating
- Lubricating motors
- Inspecting the belts for tightness and wear
- Verifying correct electric control, making sure that cooling is locked out when the thermostat calls for heat
- Verifying correct thermostat operation
Count the benefits of a Charlie’s maintenance check
With these tasks completed, you can rest assured, knowing that:
- Your heat pump is less likely to break down. Point a finger at the influence of dust and dirt again; LSU and the Louisiana Cooperative Extension Service did when they found that nine out of 10 heating and cooling systems break down because of a buildup of dust and dirt. A Charlie’s maintenance check gives you peace of mind, knowing that your heat pump should reliably provide the warmth you crave.
- Your heat pump may cost less money to operate. A heat pump that “runs clean” often costs less money to run. It’s much like a recently tune-up car costs less money to operate because it runs farther on a tank of gas. Says the department of energy: “Proper maintenance is key to efficient operation. The difference between the energy consumption of a well-maintained heat pump and a severely neglected one ranges from 10 to 25 percent.” Charlie’s maintenance check gives you peace of mind in knowing that you’re doing all you can to keep your energy bills in check.
- Your heat pump won’t be able to hide minor mechanical defects. This is because Charlie’s will find them. A maintenance check serves as a preventive step, which will bring to light minor problems, usually requiring minor fixes. A Charlie’s maintenance check gives you peace of mind because you will understand the true condition of your heat pump and won’t sweat the “what ifs.”
- Your heat pump might last longer than projected. The 15-year lifespan forecast by many heat pump manufacturers is nothing to sneeze at. But these forecasts are predicated on proper maintenance, including a yearly “tune-up.” We’ve seen just as many exceed the range because of proper maintenance habits. A Charlie’s maintenance check represents one more step you can take to preserve and even extend your heat pump’s longevity.
Before you turn to your heat pump , call Charlie’s to schedule your annual maintenance check. We’ll ensure that you stay warm-bodied – and enjoy the peace of mind you deserve.